Online Resource Tutorials
The Garland Libraries offer on how to use many of our online resources. Learn how to use Value Line, Mango Languages, Testing and Education Reference Center, Chilton Auto Repair and many more. Also included are tutorials on , , , , , , , and .
We have grouped several resource together to make them easier to find:
|Genealogy & History|
|Finance and Investments||Alphabetical List|
Search for AR book titles using authors, topics, or titles of books
- Advanced search allows you to add the interest level and ATOS level
- Finding a book in the AR List does not mean the Garland Public Library owns it – you still need to check the Library catalog.
Explora provides easy-to-use features and reliable content from the world’s leading magazines and reference books. Available on library computers and from mobile devices.
Easy-to-browse categories organized by popular topic:
- Current events
- Social studies
Explora offers the following content and features:
- Topic Overviews that provide users with a starting point for research
- Primary source documents, news articles, and Associated Press videos
- Text-to-Speech for HTML articles to assist struggling readers or those learning English
- No ads or pop-up windows
- COPPA compliancy, meaning EBSCO does not ask for or require personal information to use its databases
- Password-protected personal folders that allow users to save search results in a secure and organized holding area
- Citation help, including the ability to export citation information to online bibliography generators such as EasyBib and NoodleTools
Provides students with easy-to-read encyclopedic entries written specifically for elementary and middle school students.
- Over 25,000 encyclopedic entries covering a variety of subject areas for K-6th graders
- This is part of the Primary Search and Middle Search Plus databases.
- Gale/Cengage Learning provides research resources in a variety of subject areas to serve the needs of students and academics.
- The interface allows you to search multiple Gale resources at once.
- Gale/Cengage Learning provides research resources in a variety of subject areas to serve the needs of a general audience.
- The interface allows you to search multiple Gale resources at once.
- Provides students with biographical resources.
- Provides research resources on a variety of topics geared toward college students.
- Provides research resources and homework help geared toward elementary school students.
- Provides research resources and homework help on the topic of environmental studies and science.
- Provides general research resources geared toward high school students.
- Provides interactive science exhibits and videos for students.
- Provides access to age appropriate, authoritative content geared toward middle school and high school students.
- Contains full-text issues of National Geographic Kids in additional to information texts and features.
Gale Virtual Reference Library, AKA Gale eBooks, is a database of encyclopedias, specialized reference tools and informational resources that all ages can benefit from using. These reference materials once were accessible only in the library, but now you can access them online from the library or remotely from home or school 24/7.
- Popular reference and informational titles in a digital eBook format
- Cross-searchable and printable as PDF's
- No need to checkout – just use it
- No waiting – unlimited simultaneous access so any number of people can use any of the eBooks at the same time
- We have thousands of titles to choose from.
- Search within a subject, within a title/series, or across the entire collection.
Guides for Beginners
Health & Medicine
Information and Publishing
Nation and World
Focuses on the relationship between human beings and the environment
- Offers a unique perspective on the positive and negative ways humans affect the ecology
- Includes scholarly and general interest titles, as well as government documents and reports
- Real live tutors are available 7 days a week from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Test prep and study resources are available anytime 24/7.
No wait times for connecting to a real tutor!
No cutoff time: the tutor stays with you until you understand!
- Homework Help: if you have a problem to solve
- SkillSurfer: learning library with thousands of lessons, quizzes and tests. A "Get Live Help" button above a lesson or quiz connects you to a live online tutor.
- Writing Lab: get live writing assistance or, better yet, submit your work for a full critique within 24 hours.
- 24/7 Help: submit your questions anytime and the tutor will reply within 24 hours
- Study & Collaborate: Use Brainwave™ to record comments and explanations to archive and share; use Flashbulb™ to create flashcards or select from a vast library to study with; use Meet™ to set up live tutoring sessions in the Brainfuse online classroom with friends, colleagues, teachers, etc. Study, collaborate and record your sessions for future playback.
- Language Lab: tutoring for your foreign language homework
- Learning Account: create an account to view past sessions, access your Message Center, Tests, Calendar, and Brainwaves.
- Full Spanish-speaking services | Servicios completos en español
Empower Beginning Researchers
Created specifically for middle school students, Gale In Context: Middle School combines the best of Gale's reference content with age-appropriate videos, newspapers, magazines, primary sources, and much more. Categories cover a range of the most-studied topics including cultures, government, people, U.S. and world history, literature, and many more.
This middle school database provides engaging reference, periodical, and multimedia content supporting national and state curriculum standards for grades 6 to 12 in language arts, social studies, and science. Middle school students will benefit from an interface that delivers a combination of the highly visual design and navigation preferred by younger users as well as the authoritative content and user-focused tool set needed to support middle school assignments and coursework.
Explore All Sides of an Issue
Opposing Viewpoints is the premier online resource covering today's hottest social issues, from capital punishment to immigration to marijuana. This cross-curricular resource supports science, social studies, current events, and language arts classes. Informed, differing views help learners develop critical-thinking skills and draw their own conclusions.
Opposing Viewpoints is a rich resource for debaters and includes viewpoints, reference articles, infographics, news, images, video, audio, and more. A category on the National Debate Topic provides quick and easy access to content on frequently studied and discussed issues. Periodical content covers current events, news and commentary, economics, environmental issues, political science, and more.
Discover The World Of Science
Gale In Context: Science is an engaging resource that provides contextual information on hundreds of today's most significant science topics. Drawing students in with captivating subject matter, Science showcases how scientific disciplines relate to real-world issues ranging from bacteria to obesity and weather.
Integrating millions of full-text articles that include national and global publications, 200+ science experiments, 300+ interactive simulations, other multimedia, and top reference content, Science is updated daily and offers over 600 pages on topics across the curriculum, covering biology, chemistry, earth and environmental science, physics, and more.
A Texas specific product designed specifically for school and public libraries
- Periodicals, reference books, reports, and other content relevant to the state of Texas
- Over 100 full-text reference books
Student researchers can explore current events, social, political and economic issues, scientific discoveries and other popular topics frequently discussed in the classroom. TOPICsearch contains full text for tens of thousands of articles from diverse sources.
- Book Reviews
- Government Information
- Public Opinion Polls
- International Newspaper