An Exciting Opportunity for People Who Don't Get Too Excited
If you have the ability to stay calm under pressure, this job may be for you. We’re looking for people with patience, the ability to convey reassurance, and a sincere desire to help people. In addition, successful candidates will have:
- The ability to pass a thorough police background check and drug test
- Average typing and spelling skills
- The flexibility to work nights, weekends and holidays
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent
Dispatchers are a critical link in the City's ability to deliver Police, Fire and Ambulance services, being the first and most vital contact with a citizen in need. Under general supervision, they are responsible for:
- Answering 911 and non-emergency telephone lines, providing medical pre-arrival instructions as necessary during life-threatening situations, and routing calls either to the radio operator or to appropriate offices.
- Maintaining logs and forms required to provide effective service to citizens and make various entries into a computerized dispatch system.
- They are required to operate teletype equipment, entering police initiated requests into state, federal, and local computer systems.
- They are required to serve as a radio operator on multiple Public Safety radio frequencies, effectively relaying radio messages to Police, Fire, and EMS units in the field and all other related work as required.
The City of Garland Police/Fire /EMS Communication system is state-of-the-art. As a Communications Specialist, you will learn the intricacy involved in providing assistance to emergency personnel as well as the public. The job requires the Communications Specialist to remain calm, show empathy, convey reassurance and present a stable demeanor in spite of any factors present. The demands of a job which provide communication to police and fire department personnel in a metropolitan City are many, but satisfaction is gained from the knowledge that your efforts really help people.
If you are interested in a career that is both challenging and responsible, this position may be for you. Have questions, email the communications manager. To apply, contact the City of Garland Personnel Department at:
205 N Fifth Street
Garland, TX 75040
You can also call 972-205-2475, or you may apply online by visiting the City of Garland Human Resources Department.