You have everything prepared for your disaster. Your plan is made, your disaster kit is together and you are confidently ready. But have you thought about Fido and Fifi? It is important that your pet has a disaster plan, too! If your family must evacuate, your pet will need to evacuate, too. For health and safety reasons, pets are not allowed in shelters.
Places Your Pet Can Stay
- A friend or family member's home in a safe zone.
- A hotel or motel with you.
- A kennel in a safe area.
- Stay with you if your family does not have to evacuate.
Your pet must have his shots before he can stay in a kennel so he won't get sick. Remind your family to keep all pets' shots up to date, especially in severe weather season! Don't forget your pet needs a Disaster Supplies Kit too! Remember to put your pet's name on all his things.
Pet Disaster Supplies Kit
- Favorite Toy
- Food (at least 7 days worth)
- ID Collar
- Newspaper and Plastic trash bags
- Pet Carrier or Cage
- Rabies Tag
- Water/Food Bowls (at least 3 days worth, plan for 1 gallon per day)